CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS OF THE 2017 MAYWORKS LABOUR ARTS AWARDS!
Mayworks is thrilled to announce the winners of the 2017 Mayworks Labour Arts Awards:
- Lillian Allen is the recipient of the Min Sook Lee Award for Outstanding Contribution to Labour Arts. Community activist and two time Juno award winner, Lillian Allen is as a leading influential figure on the Canadian cultural landscape. She is an award winning and internationally renowned poet.
- Pam Johnson is the winner of the Labour Activist Award for Excellence in Contribution to Labour Arts. A committed trade union activist, socialist, and educator, Pam Johnson has used her work in dance and theatre for 20 years in the struggle for labour rights, women’s rights, and environmental justice, and against poverty, war, and corporate globalization.
- Syrus Marcus Ware is the winner of the Artist Award for Excellence in Contribution to Labour and Social Justice Movement. A Vanier Scholar, visual artist, activist, curator and educator, Syrus uses painting, installation and performance to explore social justice frameworks and black activist culture.
- Human Rights Committee, USW Local 1998, is the winner of the Labour Organization Awards for Excellence for contribution to Labour Arts. Representing over 8000 staff at the University of Toronto, USW Local 1998’s STEELwool Project engaged almost 200 members of the local and raised awareness amongst the participants about the experiences of women facing harassment in the workplace.
- Graphic History Collective is the winner of the Labour Creative Maverick Award. A group of activists, artists, writers, and researchers passionate about comics, history and social change, the Graphic History Collective produce alternative histories – people’s histories – using the accessible format of comics to help people understand the historical roots of contemporary social issues.
Please join us at the fifth annual Mayworks Labour Arts Awards Ceremony & Fundraising Gala, taking place on April 1, 2017 at the Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto at 6 pm.
- For tickets: email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (416) 561-3163, or visit: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/
2017-mayworks-labour-arts- awards-gala-festival-launch- tickets-32634901870
- To invite your friends on Facebook: click here.